There is no safe level of lead exposure.
What is lead?
- Lead is a toxic metal used in many industries and found in several consumer products. Lead poisoning can occur when lead builds up in the body. No amount of lead in the body is considered safe.
Exposure to lead can harm a child's health as well as these following effects:
- Damage to the brain and nervous system
- Slowed growth and development
- Learning and behavior problems
- Hearing and speech problems
This can cause:
- Lower IQ
- Decreased ability to pay attention
- Underperformance in school
*Information is from Nebraska DHHS Website.
Facts about Lead
- What Your Child's Capillary Blood Lead Level Means
- What Your Child's Venous Blood Lead Levels Means
- Tips to Protect Your Child from Lead
Brochures about Lead Prevention/Information
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Brochure (English)
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Brochure (Spanish)
- Lead Dust: Clean-Up & Control Brochure (English)
- Lead Dust: Clean-Up & Control Brochure (Spanish)
- Lead in Toys (English)
- Lead in Toys (Spanish)
- Lead Poisoning in Adults (English)
- Lead Poisoning in Adults (Spanish)
- CDC Lead Poisoning Prevention
- EPA Lead Prevention
- Sources of Lead
- Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water